Through design, photography, copywriting, social media, and content marketing, I bring a robust portfolio of skills to my work. I combine print and digital design to provide a solid brand strategy and overall customer experience.
Visual design (print and Web), writing, editing, typography, layout, publishing, print production, email newsletters, social media, content marketing, SEO, photography, photo editing, and asset management.
• Adobe CC: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, Bridge.
• Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint.
• Skilled with WordPress and online Content Management Systems (CMS).
• Basic familiarity with HTML, CSS, and responsive/mobile-first design.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills.
• Extensive experience in team-building and project management.
honors and awards
• High Work Ethic and Dedication, Northern Virginia Community College, August 2015.
• Corporate Performance Solutions (Contract Training catalog), Northern Virginia Community College, April 2015.
• Reader’s Choice Award for Pet Photography, Beantown Tails Magazine, 2008–2010.
• Employee of the Year: Teamwork, Braun Consulting, 1999.
• Leadership Development, Braun Consulting, 2000.
• Approached by a marketing certification provider to update training modules for their Social Media Certification after being the only person to achieve a perfect score on their certification exam.
• Tripled a veterinary clinic’s client base in three years through a website redesign and community marketing outreach. Grew monthly website traffic from 100 to over 1,500 (average) within 3 years.
• Designed a website and printed marketing materials for a small Cape Cod bed and breakfast, resulting in this feedback from the Inn’s owners:
“…we don’t do any other advertising except on the web, and our site had brought an overwhelming amount of business. Everyone comments on the site and our numbers have been much higher than we ever anticipated thanks to it. Just wanted to say thanks for building a site which so many people find appealing.”
• Created and led a successful workshop on “Collaborative Partnerships” at a state-wide higher education conference for Virginia’s Community Colleges. Provided overall concept, design, and content for presentation and worksheets, and led a team of 3 presenters to create a cohesive workshop.
• Designed brand and all assets, including a monthly printed “Town Calendar” newsletter and events poster, for a successful local-economy initiative with a reach of 43,000 town residents.
• Created a PowerPoint training manual and workshop for company staff, teaching PowerPoint basics and company brand guidelines.
• Created and led training sessions on PowerPoint, social media, blogging, and personal brand development for entrepreneurs and organizations.
• Grew an international social media community of 4,500+ for a pet website, which I designed and launched in 1999. Newsletter is currently sent to over 1,000 subscribers with a consistent 30% and higher click-through rate.
Designer, Photographer, and Brand Specialist
rubicat.com (Sep 2003 – present)
• Launched rubicat.com in 2003 to design logos, marketing materials, print and digital products, and social media assets for a wide range of customers, from micro-business to large corporations.
• Identify customer needs and provide suggestions for effective delivery of products, including production options, images, layout, colors, and content format.
• Provide strategic direction to customers on managing social media profiles, producing online content, and distributing printed products; review and edit all products to ensure consistency of message and brand.
• Use reporting tools (Facebook, WordPress, Google Analytics) or diagnostic tools (Google Webmaster, HubSpot) to measure customer engagement trends.
• Establish, develop, and maintain customer social media profiles, providing direction on strategies and target goals; teach customers how to integrate social media into their business plan.
LOWE HAUPTMAN & HAM, LLC:
PRINT BROCHURE (2014)
• Designed a new brochure, changing the format to an 8.5×11 bifold instead of a standard trifold brochure, allowing the brochure to hold additional materials.
• Designed layout and selected images, colors, and other visual elements; created Fee Schedule inserts that matched visual design and brand of brochure.
• Delivered the new brochure quickly to the team, limiting rounds of edits, meeting budget needs, and expediting the print and delivery process to meet international deadlines.
ARLINGTON COMMUNITY NETWORK:
BRAND, VISUAL DESIGN, AND PRODUCTION (2009–2010)
• Developed graphic designs and overall brand for a “local first” organization; created printed and electronic files for briefings, presentations, and all products.
• Worked with board members to create and review raw content for incorporation into website and all printed products.
• Designed, managed, and produced a monthly Town Calendar printed publication, which featured Town of Arlington news and business information and unfolded to a 17×22 poster of Town-wide event listings; managed content, images, layout, and production.
BOSTON CIRCUS GUILD:
BRAND, DESIGN, AND PHOTOGRAPHY (2008-2012)
• Provided direction for re-brand of the organization’s website and new print marketing products.
• Designed a new print brochure, postcard, business cards, and digital flyers. Reviewed and edited content, and selected all images and visual elements for the products.
• Photographed performers and events for use in printed and electronic products; created and managed a library of images and digital assets.
VISUAL DESIGNER (2004–2007)
• Designed advertising and marketing products for use in trade journals, conferences, symposia, and member hospitals, ensuring adherence to visual styles and brand.
• Designed a wide range of tradeshow and promotional products customized for over 100 member hospitals, ensuring brand and visual consistency for both Lifeline and member hospitals.
• Redesigned printed products, creating new InDesign templates and importing Quark Xpress files to the new formats. Reviewed and edited products to update visual standards and brand when company was acquired and became Phillips Lifeline in 2007.
CITY CATS VETERINARY CLINIC:
BRAND, VISUAL DESIGN, WEBSITE (2003–2007)
• Designed a new website and printed marketing products to update and improve overall brand ; surpassed growth targets by increasing customer base by 300%.
• Provided strategic direction on social media integration, SEO, and community outreach, resulting in an increase of monthly website traffic from 100 to over 1,500 within two years.
• Author and photographer, Smitten Kitten: I’m Too Swanky for my Catnip (Barnes & Noble, 2007).
• Photographer for 14 titles in Your Happy Healthy Pet book series (Wiley/Howell, 2004–2008), including two cover credits: Your Happy Healthy Pet: Guinea Pig (2005) and Bulldog (2008).
Beantown Tails Pet Photography Reader’s Choice, Boston, 2008–2010.
Brand Execution & Production Specialist (Media Specialist III)
Northern Virginia Community College (Aug 2014 – Jan 2016)
• Developed graphic designs, content marketing assets, and print and electronic media for Northern Virginia Community College’s Workforce Development Division, tailoring message and design for assigned market segments (adult learners, veterans, career switchers, and corporate customers).
• Designed and launched Corporate Performance Solutions, a full-color catalog that advertised customized contract training programs. Selected all images, colors, and other visual elements; designed layout; reviewed and edited all content to ensure accuracy and compliance with brand and visual standards, and distributed final product in both print and e-book formats.
• Designed integrated print and digital marketing campaigns, PowerPoint sales presentations, video ads, and tradeshow materials for Workforce outreach efforts.
• Researched and published blog articles discussing regional economic and workforce trends.
• Increased social media outreach and brand awareness online for Workforce programs.
• Provided strategic direction on social selling concepts to colleagues, teaching staff how to develop a personal brand, launch effective media campaigns, and create content for social media profiles.
• Created and led a Collaborative Partnerships workshop at Virginia Community College System’s (VCCS) Hire Ed Conference, Dec 2015.
• Designed a new PowerPoint template for staff to use for lectures, briefings, and sales presentations.
• Designed displays and materials for conferences and symposia, including Leadercast, campus career fairs, PMI-DC, Virginia Community College System’s “Hire Ed” conference, and Governor McAuliffe’s 2015 Latino Summit.
Awards: Contract training catalog (April 2015); High Work Ethic and Dedication (August 2015)
Founder, online community and pet advocacy website
cavymadness.com (1999 – present)
• Created a beginner’s guide and international online community to promote education and advocacy for pet guinea pigs.
• Launched an online shop in 2000, with inventory comprised of commissioned art and products I designed and created for guinea pig enthusiasts.
• Manage a Facebook community of over 4,000 followers with three other moderators, supplemented by a monthly e-newsletter with consistent audience engagement.
• Launched Pignic Central, a sister site promoting Meetup-style gatherings with a Facebook community of 1,700.
“CavyMadness.com is a beautifully-built site for an animal that not many people give a second thought to (the guinea pig)… One person I know actually began to keep guinea pigs as a result of having read Tammy’s website, which she created to help close the gap between cavy sites which were too poorly-written and those which were too technically-written. In having a go-to place for information that’s accessible (not only via internet, but intellectually, as well) by so many, she’s created a community.” (Linkedin recommendation)
Associate Graphics Artist
Monumental Sports and Entertainment (Feb 2013 – Jan 2014)
• Using Photoshop, designed and edited broadcast-ready graphics for online newscasts featuring sports updates, standings, and statistics for D.C.-area teams.
• Created infographics and electronic media products consistent with both Monumental and team brand identities.
• Updated text content for AfterEffects files used in special report segments.
• Using Photoshop’s Mask function, isolated images of Capitals and Wizards team members to be used for alpha-channel broadcast graphics.
Custom Learning Designs (May 2012 – Jan 2013)
• Developed graphic designs, layouts and typography for medical training publications using Microsoft Word, InDesign, and Quark XPress.
• Developed and edited PowerPoint slides for use in training presentations and conferences.
• Collaborated with editors, artists, and writers to ensure accuracy in visual standards, grammar, and branding guidelines for customers.
• Using Microsoft Word and style formatting, prepared training modules for both print and electronic media (eBook) products.
Brand Manager and Designer
Arlington Community Network (Nov 2009 – Aug 2010)
• Designed and managed launch and brand for a local-economy initiative with a reach of 43,000 town residents.
• Managed content and distribution for a monthly printed newsletter and Town Calendar. Responsible for overall brand, communications, and community outreach.
• Designed initial website, collaborating with Web developer team for site and organization launch.
Graphics Specialist | Team Manager
Braun Consulting (Jan 1999 – Oct 2002)
• Designed presentations, brochures, tradeshow materials, and marketing collateral for customers; provided printed materials for company events, including flyers, certificates, and employee awards as directed.
• Managed a creative team of 5 production artists; managed project workflows, staff training, design team budget, and company brand awareness. Reviewed and edited final staff presentations to ensure accuracy and adherence to brand and visual standards.
• Developed and presented PowerPoint training sessions for company staff, providing instruction on basic PowerPoint skills, new brand guidelines, and standard operating procedures.
• Developed a 12-page recruitment catalog and full-color inserts; photographed original images for the publication.
• Served as the company photographer, creating photo albums that were used to complement recruitment efforts. Earned an annual staff award for Teamwork based on my photos and innovative team-building efforts.
Awards: Teamwork, 1999; Leadership Development, 2000.
Production Artist and Graphic Designer
Aquent / MacTemps (Jan 1997 – Dec 1998)
• Created PowerPoint presentations, printed materials, and publications for customers.
• Member of 12-person Partner Program launch, created for highly-skilled talent.
Communications and Production Assistant
University Children’s Foundation, University of Minnesota (Sep 1994 – Sep 1996)
• Provided copywriting, editing, and design assistance for special events, direct mail campaigns, and marketing campaigns.
• Managed direct mail campaigns, student interns, and event volunteers.
• Original member for Department of Pediatrics’ Website Committee.
• Certificate of Recognition: Contract Training catalog, April 2015
• Certificate of Recognition: High Work Ethic and Dedication, August 2015
• Pet Photography Reader’s Choice, Beantown Tails, 2008, 2009, 2010
• Finalist, Photographer’s Forum Spring Photography Contest, 2007
• Annual Pinnacle Award for Teamwork, 1999
B.A., English (Communications/Media)
College of Charleston, SC (1988–1993)
• Writing Lab consultant and Writing Across the Curriculum conference panelist.
• Writer and photographer for yearbook and student newspaper.
• Flyer, banner, and ad designer for campus organizations.
• Visitor guide for the College, City of Charleston, and Spoleto Arts Festival.
• Lifetime member, Alpha Phi Omega national service fraternity.
(Links are provided either for workshops or training providers, based on online availability.)
• iDTP Graphic Design Master Certificate: iACT Online, 2017
• Collaborative Partnerships (presenter), Hire Ed Conference: Virginia Community College System (VCCS), 2015
• Developing a One-Year Marketing Plan: Learning Education Resources Network (LERN), 2015
• Social Media certification (perfect score): Marketing Certified, 2015
• Evolution of Search: Hubspot, 2011
• CSS for Designers: MOGO media, 2011
• Better Portraiture: New England School of Photography, 2002
• Managing the Corporate Design Department: Design Management Institute, 2001
• Branding Intensive: Art Institute of Boston, 2001
• Managing Multiple Projects, Objectives, and Deadlines: SkillPath, 2001
• Leadership Development Conference: SkillPath, 2001
• Presenting Data and Information: Edward Tufte, 2000